Take your images to the next level. Malinda Hartong, freelance photojournalist, loves to share cool tips and easy tricks pros use that you can to.
Today was the first class…WOW. I learned more about my camera in 2 1/2 hours than I learned in a 6 week intro to dslr class I took last year at an art school. Malinda is fantastic. Mirna. (Honestly, we hear this nearly every session!)
Digital SLR: Beyond AUTO Mode
8 hours of class & practice time filled with tons of real world examples, to help you better use your camera whether you’ve had it 5 days or 5 years.
Malinda shares 20 years experience distilled to TONS of tips & tricks easy to understand & implement. Make better images after the 1st class!
Not fitting your schedule? How about a 1-1 Lesson? Same great content & handouts plus geared to your personal needs. Or gather a group of friends for your own custom workshop, your place or ours!
Upcoming Sessions: Sept 1-22, 2015: 4 Tuesday nights, 7-9pm Evendale Cultural Arts Center, 10500 Reading Road, Cincinnati OH 45241 at Glendale Milford just of I75 October 10-24, 2015: 3 Saturday mornings, 10am-12:30pm Evendale Cultural Arts Center, 10500 Reading Road, Cincinnati OH 45241 at Glendale Milford just of I75
I have a better understanding of taking pictures the best way I can. I can’t believe how much is on my camera and I’ve had it for 6 years. Tessa
Leave the frustration of Auto Mode behind! Here’s What You’ll Learn, with tons of practical tips for everyday use:
- FOCUS: how often does Full Auto actually focus where YOU want? We fix this in the 1st class.
- ZOOM: Wide Angle vs. Telephoto. When & how to use them for best results.
- SETTINGS: Aperture (f-stop), Shutter Speed, & ISO – the equation to great images! What they mean and how to adjust them.
- MODES: Program, Aperture or Shutter Priority. When & how to use (& avoid using) Manual Mode.
- COMPOSITION: Tips & Tricks for more dynamic photos, when to use which lens and why.
- FLASH: Auto fires flash at the wrong time! When & how to Force Flash and when to turn it off – (this one will blow your mind! I’ve seen it happen every class).
- LIGHTING & EXPOSURE: take control, overcome problems, compensate for troublesome situations. WAY better photos in low light with less blur!
- MAGIC BUTTON: Malinda’s favorite exposure tip & why it’s so critical, but also easy! Use this to NAIL the exposure YOU see, not what the camera gives you!
- RESOLUTION, SAVING – images look better, crop better, plus tips to avoid accidentally destroy your images when editing & saving them!
- If you’d rather not get into as much “technical” stuff, check out our Digital Photo Quick Start class
- Time crunch or wacky schedule? Our 1-1 Lessons cover any or all this and are tailored to your skill level (scroll down). Some weekends & evenings available. Custom group classes too.
- perfect gift for new camera owners!
- TEENS you’re invited too – if you’re 12-16, you’re asked to bring an adult along (who need not register).
- $150 for 8 hours of class & practice time. Class Sessions are 4 nights 7-9pm. If for some reason you’re unable to attend a class, you’re welcome to make it up in the next session.
- Limited to 16 participants – this class fills early each session.
WONDERFUL! Well worth time & cost. Malinda is fantastic. I’ve learned more in the last 3 weeks than the last 10 years! Wish I would have discovered Malinda years ago… great tips and tricks, equipment reco’s, examples of what to do, what not to do – meeting others is a great aspect to the class. Looking forward to editing classes! Colleen
I can finally use my camera without being on the auto mode! I have tried watching instructional videos and reading books without any luck. After taking your class I have the confidence to use my camera the way it was designed to be used. I’m excited to keep practicing and keep improving! Thanks again for everything! I am amazed by how much I have learned! Mindy, DSLR Beyond Auto Mode
Perfect to get to know Your New Camera quick & easy. Your questions answered. Favorite locations: Winton Woods, Glenwood Gardens, studio near Winton Woods, and Evendale. Travel available. Couples, sisters, friends … do something fun together and learn skills to last a lifetime. Easy Practical tips starting with what you know today Newbie or years of experience – helping you get the shots YOU want Virtual Photo Lessons – skype, facetime, google hangouts for folks outside the Cincinnati area Custom Group Classes office, moms groups, church, girls night, family time… Learn to edit amazing images: iPad, Photoshop Elements, Photoshop, Lightroom.. Purchase private lessons and photo workshop gift certificates online
After working with Malinda in my 1:1 class I feel more able to take “photographer” quality pictures. After sharing some recent shots with her she easily identified several things for me to correct to help enhance the way my pictures turn out . Her advice on how to use my camera was very informative and really enhanced my latest round of photos taken. Malinda also gave me pointers using Photoshop. One pointer in particular will save me hours of wasted time. The class was worth every penny. Stephanie Roberts, 1-1 Lesson
Thank you Malinda! I’m NOT AFRAID OF MY CAMERA ANYMORE! You did such a great job teaching us the basics and helping us practice our skills. We had a fun day! Maureen, 1-1 lesson with sister