Malinda Hartong, freelance photojournalist, loves to share her passion for photography with super cool tips, easy tricks and techniques pros use that you can to, taking your images to the next level. Absolute beginner to aspiring professional photographer, camera classes and private lessons to suit everyone. Learn skills to last a lifetime.
Today was the first class…WOW. I learned more about my camera in 2 1/2 hours than I learned in a 6 week intro to dslr class I took last year at an art school. Malinda is fantastic. Mirna
Digital SLR: Beyond AUTO Mode
8 hours of Class & practice time – keep reading to see some of what’s covering. Real world examples, whether you’ve had your camera 5 days or 5 years. Malinda shares simple tricks to get the shot YOU want – 20 years experience distilled to TONS of tips & tricks easy to understand & implement. Make better images after the 1st class! This class makes a great gift as do our 1-1 Lessons! Not fitting your schedule? How about a 1-1 Lesson? Same great content & handouts plus geared to your personal needs. Or gather a group of friends for your own custom workshop – 1 day or 2, your place or mine!Register for November 1-15, 2014; 10am-12:30pm: $150 If we have bad weather, 11/22 makeup day. Next session: January 2015.
Evendale Cultural Arts Center 10500 Reading Road on Reading at Glendale-Milford – GE exit off I-75 Cincinnati Ohio 45241
Register securely online at our Square Shop using MasterCard, Visa, American Express, or your Square account.
Register: DSLR Beyond Auto
WONDERFUL! Well worth time & cost. Malinda is fantastic. I’ve learned more in the last 3 weeks than the last 10 years! Wish I would have discovered Malinda years ago… great tips and tricks, equipment reco’s, examples of what to do, what not to do – meeting others is a great aspect to the class. Looking forward to editing classes! Colleen
LOVED the first class! I am amazed at how much I have learned already!… I’m excited to see what’s next! Mindy, after 1st class
Here’s What You’ll Learn:
- TONS of TIPS -everything from Holding Your Camera steadier to media cards
- PRACTICAL INFO you’ll use every day.
- ZOOM: Wide Angle vs. Telephoto. When & how to use them for best results.
- SETTINGS: Aperture (f-stop), Shutter Speed, & ISO – the equation to great images! What they mean and how to adjust them.
- MODES: Program, Aperture or Shutter Priority – way better than AUTO. When & how to use (& avoid using) Manual Mode.
- COMPOSITION: Tips & Tricks for more dynamic photos
- FLASH: When & how to Force Flash and when to turn it off – (this one will blow your mind! I’ve seen it happen every class)
- LIGHTING & EXPOSURE: take control, overcome problems, compensate for troublesome situations.
- MAGIC BUTTON: Malinda’s favorite exposure tip & why it’s so critical, but also easy! Use this to NAIL the exposure YOU see, not what the camera gives you!
- SITUATIONS: sports/action, kids, flowers/macro, celebrations & events, travel,…
- IMAGE FORMAT, RESOLUTION, SAVING – don’t accidentally destroy your images! How to best save them!
- Plus Indoor & outdoor areas for you to practice
- Too much information? If you’d rather not get into as much “technical” stuff, check out our Digital Photo 101 class
- Time crunch or wacky schedule? Our 1-1 Lessons are very popular for all skill levels (scroll down). Weekends & evenings available. Custom group lessons too.
- $150 for 8 hours of class & practice time – Nov 1-15 (11/22 in case of bad weather).
- Next session Jan 2015 – available to register – perfect for holiday gifts for new camera owners!
- Choose Session date in Options Menu when registering. Limited to 16. Please register early via our Square Store!
TEENS you’re invited too – if you’re 12-16, you’re asked to bring an adult along (who need not register).
I can finally use my camera without being on the auto mode! I have tried watching instructional videos and reading books without any luck. After taking your class I have the confidence to use my camera the way it was designed to be used. I’m excited to keep practicing and keep improving! Thanks again for everything! I am amazed by how much I have learned! Mindy, DSLR Beyond Auto Mode
Now that I’ve taken this class, I do feel I have a better understanding of taking pictures the best way I can. I can’t believe how much is on my camera and I’ve had it for 6 years. Tessa
- Perfect to get to know Your New Camera quick & easy. Your questions answered.
- Favorite locations: Winton Woods, Glenwood Gardens, studio near Winton Woods, and Evendale.
- Travel available. Couples, sisters, friends … do something fun together and learn skills to last a lifetime.
- Easy Practical tips starting with what you know today
- Newbie or years of experience – helping you get the shots YOU want
- Virtual Photo Lessons – skype, facetime, google hangouts for folks outside the Cincinnati area
- Custom Group Classes office, moms groups, church, girls night, family time…
- Learn to edit amazing images: iPad, Photoshop Elements, Photoshop, Lightroom…
- Great GIFT – purchase private lessons and photo workshop gift certificates online
After working with Malinda in my 1:1 class I feel more able to take “photographer” quality pictures. After sharing some recent shots with her she easily identified several things for me to correct to help enhance the way my pictures turn out . Her advice on how to use my camera was very informative and really enhanced my latest round of photos taken. Malinda also gave me pointers using Photoshop. One pointer in particular will save me hours of wasted time. The class was worth every penny.
Stephanie Roberts, 1-1 Lesson
Suggestions? Please let us know what you’d like to learn! We’re all ears! Take a sec with our confidential form under CONTACT – click WORKSHOP SUGGESTIONS. Your help is greatly appreciated!
Thank you Malinda! I’m NOT AFRAID OF MY CAMERA ANYMORE! You did such a great job teaching us the basics and helping us practice our skills. We had a fun day! Maureen, 1-1 lesson with sister
Check out these tips today to get you started!